Ross Parish Church has a long tradition of good music making. Its choir is highly regarded by the congregation, the local community and throughout the diocese with a well earned reputation.
The adult choir is a group of about 20 singers who maintain the bulk of the musical services at St Mary’s.
In recognition of the fact that all our singers are busy people with many commitments, three basic options are available to members of the adult choir (though in practice people work out their own level of commitment).
- A full member – the commitment here is to a Friday rehearsal each week, a sung Eucharist each Sunday morning and an evensong on the second and fourth Sundays of each month.
- A full member but without evensong – a commitment to Friday evenings and Sunday mornings.
- A member of the extended adult choir – This is the lowest level of commitment and involves only the two evensongs each month. Rehearsals for these take place before the services themselves and singers take responsibility for making sure they come along at least knowing the notes. (Evensong is musically very fulfilling- a full “cathedral” style service drawing on the very best music from the English choral tradition)
Regular timings are as follows:
- Full rehearsals – Fridays, 7.00 – 8.00 p.m.
- Eucharist – Sundays, 9.10 rehearsal for 9.30 a.m. service.
- Evensong – Second and fourth Sundays, 5.00 rehearsal for 6.00 service
Please contact us if you’d like to get involved or come along to church on a Friday evening at 7pm.
As well as making music on a weekly basis in Ross, the choir sings regularly at cathedrals in the UK, deputising for cathedral choirs while they are on holiday. Recent cathedral weekends include: Salisbury & Exeter in (2022), Wells (2021), Exeter (2019), St Davids (2018), Chester (2017) and we’re looking forward to a weekend in Chichester in 2023.
You’ll find some recent recording of the choir here and some live streamed service on our YouTube Chanel