The small village of Brampton Abbotts is just a few miles to the north of Ross-on-Wye. A major restoration of the church building has been undertaken recently but sadly the church is permanently locked. There’s an update in this film.
Brampton Abbotts church is now trying to re-establish itself as a community building, largely through the efforts of BAcRG, though sadly they are meeting some opposition. Technically it is a “closed church” and only very occasional services are held in the churchyard. You can find more on all this on the regeneration group’s Facebook Page. And on this website
Visiting Brampton Abbotts Church
Parking for a few cars is available in front of the lychgate and in a larger car park through the gate on the north side of the church.
Services at Brampton Abbotts
Occasional services take place in the churchyard.
Parish Church of St. Michael stands in the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles.
The Chancel and Nave are 12th century, but the building was much altered in the 14th century, when the south porch was added. The chancel arch was rebuilt and widened, probably in the 16th century, and the west wall repaired in 1686.
The church was restored in 1848, in 1857, and again more recently when the bell-turret was largely or entirely re-built, the vestry added on the north side of the chancel and the south porch re-built.
The church had major restoration work in 2018 & 19 in order that the building, closed for ten years can now be open once more as a community building. It is however officially a “closed church.”
More on the history of the church and village here.